Netflix profiles are really important. They make it so that you don’t have to share the same watch list with someone, and makes your guilty pleasure movies a little more private. Profiles are also good for parents who want to set up parental controls so the kids don’t start watching Sons of Anarchy or Orange is the New Black.
This guide is all about profiles, how to customize them with pictures and passwords, how to set up parental controls, and the positives of having different profiles for different users.
We need Netflix. We in the independent sector more than anybody need Netflix, because they care about what we do. – Harvey Weinstein
Why should I create separate profiles?
The first question you might ask is “should be why set up different profiles?”. Well let me explain what profiles do. By creating different profiles for different people you can each have a separate experience. Lets say you have a family of 4. Dad likes violent movies and TV shows while mom enjoys romantic comedies and funny TV shows while the kids like Veggie Tales and Pokemon. You wouldn’t want dad’s ultra violent movies mixed in with mom’s romance movies where the kids could watch them, so you each create a separate profile to save each person’s preferences. Dad will get personalized recommendations based off what he watches and will have his own list of things he wants to watch, as will each of the other profiles. Mom and dad can set up parental control on the kid’s profiles to make sure they don’t watch something they shouldn’t. I think having different profiles is an invaluable tool that allows each user to have a very personalized experience with Netflix, and it can save some really uncomfortable questions from kids asking what’s happening in Orange is the New Black.
How to set up a profile
After you log onto Netflix a box will and it will have a little plus sign that says “Add Profile”. Click on that (it is free) and type in a username, for example Mom or Dad, and underneath where you type your name there will be a check mark that asks if it is a kid’s profile under the age of 123. I will get into the parental controls later in the guide, so we’re going to skip that for now. Click continue, and you have successfully created a profile! You can create up to 5 separate profiles for each account. Every time you log into Netflix or go to Netflix you can choose which profile you wish to use. Now that person with the profile can create a list of movies and TV shows they want to watch and can get a more personalized Netflix experience, and you don’t have to have their tastes interfere with your Netflix experience. Win win situation.
How to customize a profile with a picture
After you create separate accounts you can add pictures to be able to clearly tell them apart. To do so you can click on either manage profiles before you select your profile, or if you have already chosen your profile click on the upper right corner where your picture is. From there click on manage profiles. It will pop up with a pencil over each profile you have. To add a picture select the pencil on whatever profile you are wanting to add it to. It will pop up with the name, language, maturity levels, and then there is a little pencil over the picture. Click on that pencil and choose the picture you want. There are 14 different pictures to choose from so each profile can have a separate picture so it’s easier to choose your specific profile.
How to add parental controls
There are a few ways to add parental controls. the first way is to do it when you are creating your kid’s profile. There is a check box that asks if the person is under the age of 12. That will limit down the movies and shows your child can watch to those that are acceptable for your kids.
Another way is to go to manage profiles and selecting the maturity level through there.
Can profiles have passwords?
Here’s the frustrating part about profiles: there is no password option to password protect profiles yet. However you can create a PIN that can block movies and shows you don’t want your children watching. Go to your account settings and go down to parental controls. From there it asks for the account password. After that you can create a PIN number that restricts access to unsuitable items. You can require the PIN for movies that are 7+ up to R21 rating. This allows you to adjust what should be restricted by the maturity level and age range.
How to delete a profile
Maybe you and your significant other broke up and they had a profile set up on your Netflix account and you don’t want them having access to your Netflix anymore. My advice would be to first change your password so they can no longer get into your account, and then erase the profile as a final good-bye to them. Go to manage profiles and select whatever profile it is you are wanting to delete. Select delete profile and it will be completely erased. Do keep in mind that you cannot erase the main profile.
Other uses for profiles
1. Uses for profiles: The profiles can also be used as different moods someone may have. For instance, you can set up a horror profile, and romantic profile, a childish/nostalgia profile, and whatever other genres you want. That makes it easy to base whatever mood you are currently in and then to select a movie from that genre. This helps keep recommendations confined to each genre you are in the mood to watch.
2. Subtitles: Netflix is pretty cool and customizable and allows you to customize subtitles when you watch a foreign film. Now I use subtitle customization when I am going through a phase where I’m in the mood to watch anime because it helps me read the subtitles better and makes the movie or show seem a little more personal to me. To access this feature go to account settings, and under your profile you will find Subtitle Appearance. You can edit the font, font size, font color, shadow and shadow color, size, and even background colors and windows around the words.
3. Playback settings: Again under the my profile section of My Account you can find Playback settings. When you click on playback settings you get the option of choosing data usage and quality of the videos. You can select auto all the way to High quality, which uses about 3 GB per hour for an HD movie, so make sure you use WiFi for that setting.
4. Order in My List: Another thing you can adjust in My Profile in the My Account menu is the ability to change up the order in your playlist. That allows you to organize your playlist and will help finding your favorite show. In the options you can choose to manually sort your list or have Netflix sort through your list and offer recommendations about your shows and movies.
5. Pranking: I am the primary account holder of Netflix and my boyfriend has his own profile where he has all his violent movies and TV shows he watches. As a prank I adjusted his profile to only allow him to watch movies and shows for “little kids”. He can’t watch Jessica Jones but should be able to watch Veggie Tales. I’m still waiting for him to realize what I did when he goes to watch one of his shows. If anyone wants to prank the other people on the account, this is the way to do it. Edit: 20 minutes after I did it he texted me asking about the children’s setting because he couldn’t watch Orange is the New Black. I’m playing coy but he knows I did it. He can only pull up G rated movies and shows.
6. Kids profile: When you create a Netflix account you automatically get a profile set for kids. That profile has all the movies and shows for your kids to binge watch. However I personally use my kids profile more often than I care to admit because it is extremely easy to find Disney movies and other movies that I love. For instance, I did not realize Chicken Little was on Netflix and found it the other day in the kids profile so I watched that while I drank a beer. It didn’t pop up as a recommendation on my regular profile, but did on the kid’s profile.
Netflix profiles are a very good tool Netflix has added to make our experience just that; OUR Netflix experience. The use of profiles makes it so parents can control what their kids watch and also keeps other people’s recommendations out of your recommendations. Profiles are very easily managed and are totally free, but remember that you can only create up to 5 profiles and can only have 2 things streaming at once.
As always, make sure that you check out bestnewmoviesonnetfilx.com to know what good movies are out and how to fix any problems you may experience.